1 By BoatThe ferry transfer is included in the bus fare because the bus uses the ferry. On the island the bus first stops at the ferry pier and then at Nathon Pier. Remember to tell the resort where and when you want to be picked up. (Surat Thani - Samui app. 3 hours, ferry included). Hotels near Samui Pier
The connection from Surat Thani city. Not more than 2 hours, you will arrive directly at Nathon's port. A little more expensive than the other boats, but air-conditioning and practical.
- An express ferry boat of Songserm Travel departs from Tha Thong Pier in Surat Thani and arrives at Na Thon Pier in Koh Samui, every day.
- Express boats of Seatran Express operate three times a day between Ban Don and Koh Samui. The trip takes two hours.
About 1 hour and a half to Koh Samui, can contain vehicles, small snack bar inside, full of seats and an "air-conditioning" cabin.There are two companies which provide sea transfer from Surat Thani (Donsak Pier)
- Seatran Ferry departure from Donsak Pier arrival at Nathon pier.
- Raja Ferry departure from Donsak Pier arrival at Lipanoi pier
The Night Boat
Starts at Bandon pier in Surat Thani at app. 23.00 hrs. Arrives at Koh Samui at 05.30 hrs. The boat has 2 decks and you will be provided with a mattress and a pillow.
The Speed Boat
Expensive but very fast (Koh Tao-Koh Phan-Ngan 45 minutes, normal boat 2 hours). Used a lot from Koh Tao or by various daytrips tours and some diving schools.
2 By BusThe Bus, Economic
Fast and low fare. Non air-conditioning, wide opened windows. It stops almost every time a person holds out the hand by the roadside.
They (almost) all travel by night. You leave Bangkok between 05:30 am. - 08:00 pm. and journey lasts generally 10 - 12 hours until Surat Thani, about 650 kilometers south of Bangkok.
The ferry transfer is included because the bus uses the ferry. On the island the bus first stops at the ferry pier and then at Nathon pier. Remember to tell the resort where and when you want to be picked up (Surat Thani - Samui app. 3 hours, ferry included).
** Air - Conditioned bus from Bangkok to Koh Samui takes around 12 hours.
For more information
|Bangkok Southern Bus Terminal||Tel. 0 2435 1199|
|Surat Thani Bus Terminal||Tel. 0 7720 0032|
3 By Plane
- Domestic Air-travel direct to Koh Samui with Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways. no stopovers to Bangkok and Phuket.
- Domestic Air-travel for cheaper flights if
you have more time to spare, fly to Surat Thani on either Thai Airways,
Air Asia or Nok Air, the flight time is approximately 70 minutes then take a bus to Donsak and a ferry to Samui.
- More domestic Air-travel daily flight to Koh Samui
- From Krabi, leaving at 13:45 daily.
- From Pattaya departs at 17:15
- From Chiang Mai, leaving at noon.
- Internationally, 4 destinations fly direct to Samui: Singapore (Silk Air/Bangkok
Airways), Hong Kong (Bangkok Airways), Kuala Lumpur (Firefly Airline/Bangkok Airways) and Berlin/Dusseldorf
(Etihad Airways/Bangkok Airway operated by Airberlin).
- From Singapore has a Bangkok Airways flight leaving at 20:35 local time,
while Singapore Air’s budget carrier, Silk Air, departs at 08:10 local time.
- From Hong Kong flies twice daily, leaving at 09:05 and 16:15 local time.
- From Kuala Lumpur, you have two options. The first is with Malaysian budget airline Firefly,
which departs at 14:20 local time, and the other is with Bangkok Airways at 08:45.
- From Berlin/Dusseldorf - Germany, Check flight and make your travel plan!
Advice: All travelers arriving at Koh Samui Airport should use the pick-up service of their hotel (which is the most convenient way). Hotels near Koh Samui Airport
For more information
|Air Asia||Tel. 0 2515 9999|
|Bangkok Airways||Tel. 0 2134 3960, 0 2134 3888|
|Thai Airways||Tel. 1566, 0 2545 3691 - 2|
|Samui Airport office||Tel. 0 7724 5601 - 8|
4 By TrainSet apart it, trains remain a very pleasant and sure means of locomotion. At Bangkok railway station (Hua Lamphong) you will find a color marked ticket counter on the left side of the counters. There you can buy the combined tickets. You can choose your mode of transportation - 1st or 2nd class, seat or sleeper (recommended) and Ac or fan.
Price for a combined ticket is app. 800 Baht for 2nd class and app. 1,200 Baht for 1st class. You also can buy just the train ticket if you prefer to go by ferry to Koh Samui. Buses to the 2 ferries (Raja Ferry and Seatran Ferry) are waiting in front of Surat Thani railway station. Tickets for the transfer and ferry are issued at the bus.
Tickets for a night-train can be booked at Bangkok Airport, Bangkok Railway Station and many travel agencies in Bangkok. So, you have to use a taxi to go. This concerns all people, who like spend at least one night in Bangkok. It is not sure to get a ticket for the same day! The best information about these tickets you will get at the railway station in Bangkok. Travel time from Surat Thani railway station to Koh Samui is app. 02.50 hours.
Traveling from Bangkok
The most convenient way to go to Koh Samui is with the night train and by purchasing a "combination ticket" which includes:
- Train ticket-align: Bus transfer from Surat Thani railway station to ferry pier
- Express boat ticket
Travelling from Butterworth (Malaysia)
Tickets can be purchased at the railway station in Butterworth or at the ferry terminal in Georgetown Penang. There is only one train per day leaving Butterworth at 14:10 pm. At the border you have to leave the train with your baggage. After the checkpoint you will travel further to Hat Yai with the same train. As you arrive at 11:00 pm. at Surat Thani you have to stay overnight and proceed with your journey the next morning. Just ask your hotel to arrange the transfer and ferry.
Departure on early evening and about 2 hours after your departure. There are several services on the web for hotels in Bangkok. If this will be your first trip to Thailand.
- Tickets of all classes may be purchased 60 days in advance at principal stations and the Advance Booking Office within Bangkok Station during 7:00 am. to 4:00 pm. daily.
- Passengers are allowed to carry personal luggage free of charge as follows : 1st class 50 kg, 2nd class 40 kg, 3rd class 30 kg. Children paying half fares are allowed the half weight luggage, subject to class of ticket. Children over 3 years to 12 years whose height does not exceed 150 cm. are accepted at half fare.
- Children of 3 years or under who are less than 100 cm. in height are conveyed free of charge excluding separate seat.
- Please notify the ticket office in advance if boarding is changed, otherwise the reservation will be cancelled.
- Passengers getting off the train at any alighting station are not entitled to use further or refund the holding ticket.
- Postponement of journey or refund of fare must be made within 3 hours before departure time and deduction of fee will be handled according to the rule.
If you use the train, it stops at Surat Thani railway station. You then take a bus to Samui (combi-tickets available). The ferry transferis included because the bus uses the ferry. A detailed time-table is below. On the island the bus first stops at the ferry pier and then at Nathon pier.
For more information
|Surat Thani Railway Station||Tel. 0 7731 1213|
|Hua Lamphong Railway Station (Bangkok)||Tel. 0 2220 4334|
5Transfer Service & Self DriveAre you looking for a driver waiting for you at the airport with a sign board with your name to avoid looking around for a taxi? Use our service, we will be there for you in time and take you straight to your hotel.
Supansa Travel and Tour
1Express BoatLong rather narrow boat, lots of backpackers but which has its charm and all the transfers are easy.
|Surat Thani To Koh Samui||Koh Samui To Surat Thani|
|From Tha Thong||To Na Thon||From Na Thon||To Tha Thong|
|08:00 am.||09:30 am.||08:00 am.||09:30 am.|
|02:00 pm.||03:30 pm.||01:00 pm.||02:30 pm.|
2 The FerryAbout 1 hour and a half to Koh Samui, can contain vehicles, small snack bar inside, full of seats and an "air-conditioning" cabin. There are two companies which provide sea transfer from Surat Thani (Donsak Pier)
|Time||Surat Thani To Koh Samui||Koh Samui To Surat Thani|
|From Donsak Pier||To Na Thon Pier||From Na Thon Pier||To Donsak Pier|
|05:00 am.||06:00 am.||07:30 am.||05:00 am.||06:30 am.|
|06:00 am.||07:00 am.||08:30 am.||06:00 am.||07:30 am.|
|07:00 am.||08:00 am.||09:30 am.||07:00 am.||08:30 am.|
|08:00 am.||09:00 am.||10:30 am.||08:00 am.||09:30 am.|
|09:00 am.||10:00 am.||11:20 am.||09:00 am.||10:30 am.|
|10:00 am.||11:00 am.||12:30 am.||10:00 am.||11:30 am.|
|11:00 am.||12:00 am.||01:30 pm.||11:00 pm.||12:30 pm.|
|12:00 pm.||01:00 pm.||02:30 pm.||12:00 pm.||01:30 pm.|
|01:00 pm.||02:00 pm.||03:30 pm.||01:00 pm.||02:30 pm.|
|02:00 pm.||03:00 pm.||04:30 pm.||02:00 pm.||03:30 pm.|
|03:00 pm.||04:00 pm.||05:30 pm.||03:00 pm.||04:30 pm.|
|04:00 pm.||05:00 pm.||06:30 pm.||04:00 pm.||05:30 pm.|
|05:00 pm.||06:00 pm.||07:30 pm.||05:00 pm.||06:30 pm.|
|06:00 pm.||07:00 pm.||08:30 pm.||06:30 pm.||07:30 pm.|
|Time||Surat Thani To Koh Samui||Koh Samui To Surat Thani|
|From Donsak Pier||To Taling Ngam Pier||From Taling Ngam Pier||To Donsak Pier|
|05:00 am.||05:00 am.||06:30 am.||05:00 am.||06:30 am.|
|06:00 am.||06:00 am.||07:30 am.||06:00 am.||07:30 am.|
|07:00 am.||07:00 am.||08:30 am.||07:00 am.||08:30 am.|
|08:00 am.||08:00 am.||09:30 am.||08:00 am.||09:30 am.|
|09:00 am.||09:00 am.||10:30 am.||09:00 am.||10:30 am.|
|10:00 am.||10:00 am.||11:30 am.||10:00 am.||11:30 am.|
|11:00 am.||11:00 am.||12:30 pm.||11:00 pm.||12:30 pm.|
|12:00 pm.||12:00 pm.||01:30 pm.||12:00 pm.||01:30 pm.|
|01:00 pm.||01:00 pm.||02:30 pm.||01:00 pm.||02:30 pm.|
|02:00 pm.||02:00 pm.||03:30 pm.||02:00 pm.||03:30 pm.|
|03:00 pm.||03:00 pm.||04:30 pm.||03:00 pm.||04:30 pm.|
|04:00 pm.||04:00 pm.||05:30 pm.||04:00 pm.||05:30 pm.|
|05:00 pm.||05:00 pm.||18:30 pm.||05:00 pm.||06:30 pm.|
|06:00 pm.||06:00 pm.||07:30 pm.||06:00 pm.||07:30 pm.|
|07:00 pm.||07:00 pm.||20:30 pm.||-||-|
3 Night BoatStarts at Bandon pier in Surat Thani. This crossing lasts approximately 5 to 5.30 hours, but there are common couchettes for travellers. This solution can avoid you sleeping in Surat Thani if you arrive there at the end of the day. The boat has 2 decks and you will be provided with a mattress and a pillow.
|Ban Don (Surat Thani) To Koh Samui||Koh Samui To Ban Don (Surat Thani)|
|From Ban Don||To Koh Samui||From Koh Samui||To Ban Don|
|10:00 pm.||04:00 am.||10:00 pm.||04:00 am.|